Ferrycarrig Castle, located outside of Wexford Town on the Enniscorthy Road, is one of the earliest Norman castles to be built in the country and the first Norman stronghold in Ireland. The castle was erected by Robert FitzStephen in 1169 and excavations so far, indicate extensive occupation during the 13th century. An 18th century tower can be found on the south bank of the river it was erected by relatives and friends of Co. Wexford soldiers who fell in the Crimean War (1854-56). The Earl of Carlisle, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, laid the first stone at Ferrycarrig in July 1858. Taking the form of an Irish round tower, it stands 85ft and is located 9ft above ground level.