Johnstown Castle - located not far from Wexford Town the gardens of are of Gothic style construction.
Johnstown Castle Estate has been home to two prominent Wexford families. The first owners were the Esmondes; a Norman family who settled in the county in the 1170s. They constructed the tower houses at Johnstown and Rathlannon during the 15th or 16th century. During the Cromwellian period of 1640s the estate was confiscated and changed hands several times before being acquired by John Grogan in 1692, whose descendents remained at Johnstown up until 1945. In this year Maurice Victor Lakin presented Johnstown Castle estate as a gift to the Nation.
By 1863 Johnstown Castle estate. at its peak of development, comprised of a large demesne of over 1,000 acres. It was divided in two with a deer park to the north, and the castle, pleasure grounds, home farm and two lakes (with a third lake under construction) to the south.
Today Teagasc, the Agricultural and Food Development Authority, is the owner of the Johnstown Castle estate and has a research facility on site.
Johnstown Castle is home to the Irish Argrictultural Museum - housing agriculture machinery and tools from earlier eras. Many of the items on display were donated to the castle by local farmers.